Google
 

Friday, March 14, 2008

Full Transparency?...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/14/us/politics/14campaign.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

In addition to his tax returns Senator Obama has just released his congressional earmarks for the last three years and has asked Senator Clinton to do the same. This combined with her reluctance to release her tax returns is leading towards a trend of not-so-full-disclosure and could potentially indicate that she is hiding something. First off I find it frustrating that legislator's earmarks are not public domain. Are there any arguments for keeping them private? Secondly, obviously Clinton has the right to keep her tax returns private, but considering that she is running for President of the United States shouldn't she release them?

3 comments:

pdrez said...

This can only look bad for Clinton. One of the major points on which I have agreed with Obama is more transparency in government, and I fully supported he and Republican Tom Coburn's Public Disclosure Act (not sure of exact title) which required a public website tracking all receipts of federal funding. This is a good political play for Obama, and Clinton needs to wise up and just release her tax returns and her Senatorial earmarks. I, personally, have no arguments for keeping these two items private.

ASK said...

I must first state that I agree with the idea of the public disclosure of federal receipts and I hope that Obama and Coburn's introduction of The Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act is successful.

That being said, I think that Obama is being very crafty and I would consider this to be a personal attack on Clinton. The law, as it stands, does NOT require Clinton to show any such documentation and therefore, she should not have to endure harassment from Obama about something she doesn't need to do.

When the law is changed, which I hope it is, then my opinion will differ, but right now it supports Clinton's decision. Obama is simply using this as an opportunity to cast his own PERSONAL decisions, outside of policy, in a better light than Clinton's. That, to me, is an affront on Clinton's privacy.

Anonymous said...

I believe the Clinton Campaign said HRC was releasing her tax returns on April 15th